AA Clay Studio Use Agreement
AA Clay Studio is a shared working space for ceramics artists & students.
Resident members are provided with a key to the studio for full 24 hr. access.
Open Studio members have access during Open Studio Hours.
Everyone using the studio must cooperate in following the procedures and rules outlined in this guide.
Please keep the studio clean. Each member must clean equipment after each use.
– There are 4-5 parking spaces at the back of the studio. These are available to you on a first come first serve basis. You may also park along Iowa Ave. Enter the studio through the side door using your key / or ring door-bell.
– Smoking in the studio is not allowed.
– All members must be 18 years of age or older and have experience working in a shared studio space.
– Every member is responsible for his or her own property and art work.
– Anything left in the general studio space is susceptible to damage.
Please keep your work inside your designated shelf while not working on it.
– If you bring a visitor or guest to the studio, you are responsible for their behavior and their adherence to the studio rules.
They must pay the hourly rate. Guests may not be in the studio without you.
– Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
• Use personal canvas if using a clay body other than the studio body (Stoneware 153 or B-MIX 5).
• RED CLAY must be contained to personal canvas or (DARK) canvas only.
• WHITE CLAY (Light) canvas is reserved for white or Porcelain clay only.
• Clay dust must be cleaned up with wet rags or mops whenever possible.
Members are expected to keep dust agitation to a minimum. Sand bone-dry pots outside if possible.
– Label your tools with permanent marker.
– Only tools marked “studio” are available for everyone’s use.
– Do not leave tools or equipment in the sink area.
– It is your responsibility to cover (with plastic) and watch the dry-time of your own work.
If you do not feel comfortable using any of the equipment ask studio staff for help.
If equipment is not used properly it can be difficult or expensive to fix.
– If any equipment is jammed or broken please notify studio staff immediately.
– Kilns are to be operated by studio staff only.
1. Please keep loud noise and cell phone conversations outside the studio.
2. Please keep the break room clean. Do not leave food forgotten / put food scraps in the trash NOT THE SINK
3. Turn off all faucets and lights when not in use.
4. Help conserve energy by turning off HVAC system when you are last to leave. Resident members (IMPORTANT).
Key Use & Responsibilities The key you are given is for you only.
Do not share the key and do not label it with the studio name or location.
If your key is lost there is a $100.00 replacement fee.
The studio has (9) professional electric potter’s wheels.
• You are expected to clean wheel thoroughly after each use.
• Recycle your clay in your shelf space or throw it out. DO NOT PUT IN SINK.
• Leave bat pins in wheel head. Turn OFF wheel when finished.
• Sweep with broom or sponge the f loor around wheel to leave the space clean for the next person.
Ten (10) studio glazes are available for general use.
These glazes are meant to be used in small batches. Otherwise, you must purchase your own pre-mixed glazes.
GLAZING IN THE STUDIO
Experience required if working in the glaze area.
– Proper use of glaze is important to prevent the contamination of wet glazes and/or dry materials.
– Glazes must be applied by brushing or dipping.
– Spraying, air brushing, and dusting is not permitted inside.
– Clean up glaze area when finished. Wash and return tools.
– Wash table tops. Mop the floor if necessary.
• Check your pottery to make sure glazes are wiped off the bottom and ready for kiln.
There is a $25.00 fee if your glaze touches kiln shelfs- fee goes up depending on severity of kiln damage.
• Studio ware shelves are not storage space. Please pick up your pieces as they finish.
• Studio glazes may occasionally be discontinued. Please be aware that this could affect results from one project to the next. *Please inform studio staff if a studio glaze bucket is empty or low.
The kiln’s become very hot. Do not touch while in operation. Never place objects on top or around the kilns.
All kiln usage is monitored and fired under the supervision of studio staff only.
– A chart (calendar) is available for Kiln Sign-Up. Kiln usage is sold by the kiln load.
Fill the whole kiln, or split the space and cost, with someone else in the studio. Or pay by the piece.
– When you sign up for a kiln remember: time to load + fire time + cool time = about 3 days, so this is how kiln usage is broken into blocks. Please plan accordingly. You should have your entire kiln load prepared before signing up.
• Kiln temperatures do not exceed Cone 6 (2232˚F).
• We do not fire (Cone 7-10) or unknown clay bodies in our kilns.
Members are allowed to fire test tiles for free- according to kiln priority and studio staff discretion.
SAFETY & SECURITY
– Garage doors are to be closed and locked by Resident Member Or Studio Staff. (IMPORTANT)
– Side door locks automatically. LOCK DEADBOLT
– Until further notice the front door is to be kept locked at all times.
– All exits can be used in the event of a fire.
– Please enter studio through side door. Use door-bell for entrance.
Do not leave valuables in the studio. Alex Adams and AA Clay Studio are not responsible for your personal property.
In the event of a fire, please leave the building immediately through the nearest available exit and report to studio staff. Familiarize yourself with the location of the fire distinguisher and First-Aid kit.
• All accidents, no matter how minor, should be reported immediately to the studio staff.
• All chemicals must be labeled with the name of the substance.
• Always use protective gear while mixing dry materials.
• Shoes must be worn in and around the studio (no open-toe shoes).
Abusive or violent behavior will not be tolerated. AA Clay Studio reserves the right to cancel the participation of any individual in any program, including all members, who are considered to be a danger or exhibits unacceptable behavior.
STUDIO AGREEMENT FORM
Please provide your Driver’s License or State I.D. for our records.
Your monthly rate of $___________ will be charged to you at the first of each month.
You must pay this amount within one week of billing. As a member, you may purchase clay and kiln usage on credit to your monthly bill. This bill must be paid in full each month (check or credit card) or all future payments must be made in cash. As a member you share responsibility for the welfare of studio space, equipment, and everyone around you. Be careful while working in the studio and have fun!
I________________________________________agree to the stated practices of AA Clay Studio in this agreement. To cooperate in maintaining the studio and following the procedures outlined in this guide. First month pro-rated?_______________ Hourly rate?_______________
Contact Information: _________________________________________________
Please provide your Driver’s License or State I.D. for our records.
© 2019 AA Clay Studio & Gallery