Paint-Your-Own Pottery Instructions
• Finished artwork must be returned to AA Clay Studio to be kiln-fired so it becomes permanent.
* Do not add or apply any material to the clay or clay surface other than what we provide you with.
* Do not paint the bottom of your pottery.
1. Prepare your work area
- Use disposable paper to protect your work surface. Paint may stain.
- Protect your clothing before opening the glaze paint.
- Prepare your bisque pottery for paint: wipe all pieces with a damp sponge or cloth. Let each piece dry thoroughly.
-Stir or shake glaze paint prior to use. If the paint is too thick to mix with paint brush, add a few drops of water and mix.
- Fill a disposable cup with water to rinse your brush.
2. Plan your design
- Create some sketches of the colors or designs you want to apply. It can be difficult to wash off your mistakes. If you need to wash the paint off of a piece you will have to wait until it is completely dried again to apply a coat of glaze paint.
3. Paint your pottery and express your creativity! Have Fun!
- To prevent the glaze paints from drying out, open only one color at a time. Check out our color mixing tips.
- Clean your brush in water prior to dipping the brush in another paint color.
- Wait until the first coat of paint is dry to the touch before applying a second coat or another colors. *Use hair-dryer.
- Wash hands before and after painting with the glazes.
- Colors are most bright and colorful when applied evenly in 2-3 coats.
- Avoid overlapping colors. Allow layers to dry between coats.
- Use hair-dryer to speed up the drying process.
- If needed: layer dark colors over top of light colors for better contrast.
- Do not wet your item except with a damp sponge to remove any dust. If it becomes very wet, allow to dry before painting.
- Do not paint the bottom of your pottery.
- Please allow 15 minutes at the end of your session for clean-up.
4. Return finished pottery to AA Clay Studio for kiln firing.
- Carefully package/cushion your painted pottery for transport to the studio.
- Drop off at AA Clay Studio to be kiln-fired. The firing process will require up to 3 weeks to complete.
- We will apply a clear over-glaze to your painted artwork.
Color Mixing Suggestions:
Red + Yellow = Orange
Yellow + Blue = Green
Blue + Red = Violet
Red + blue + Yellow = Brown
White + Black = Gray
© 2021 AA Clay - Ceramics Studio